Monday, November 12, 2012

Sin Series : The Sin of Envy 1 (A repost)

"Envy (also called invidiousness) is best defined as a resentful emotion that 'occurs 
when a person lacks another's (perceived) superior quality, achievement, 
or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it.'"
- from Wikipedia


A couple of months ago, I committed the sin of envy.

As I saw the certificates being handed out to some of my colleagues, I asked myself, why am I not receiving those? My stats were well above average. I'd even like to think I was among the top people on the floor. Yet, why didn't I get any of those certificates?

-----

Ever since I moved from QC to Shaw/Ortigas, I made it a point to work on my numbers. True that, even when I was in QC, I was already on the management's radar. Then again, I suspect it was only because of my extra-curricular showings for the account.

Trust Ternie, they said. He delivers.

To be objective about it though, my numbers were just so-so while I was in QC. It was more of a hit-and-miss thing. Sometimes, I'd end up with a perfect scorecard. Sometimes I'd barely make it. "He can develop more consistency," wrote a senior manager in the evaluation for my regularization.

I value feedback, so the moment I hit the office in Shaw/Ortigas, I took to heart what I read in the evaluation.

-----

If there's one thing I'm confident of, it's that I posses a facility for the spoken language of English. I could rapport, cajole, beg, and flatter myself almost out of any situation with whomever calls in. Looking back, I could only think of one or two persons on the floor that match up to my communication skills; probably another one or two whom I consider my superior. As my QA said, I make an impact on the customer - almost always for the better.

That, along with the drive to stabilize my stats, lead to my best showing so far. Soon, I was head-to-head with the tenured top performers. Soon, I was the top performer.

8 comments:

  1. I want you to remember the beatitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. parang ang dami kasi ng 8 beatitudes e.

    i'll stick with the 7 deadly sins in the meantime :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. because you are bound for something way better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, hindi na nasundan yung unang comment...

    pangalawa, nakukuha mo naman yan sa alindog, kaya keri na

    pangatlo, all the best at malayo mararating mo :)

    ReplyDelete